Monday, June 04, 2007

Blame l337 speak on Great Great Great Grandparents!

So, I got a wild hair* tonight to look up the etymology of the phrase "O.K." (shush, all of you, I fully own my nerdosity!) and what I found was rather interesting:

From The Straight Dope:

The abbreviation fad began in Boston in the summer of 1838 and spread to New York and New Orleans in 1839. The Boston newspapers began referring satirically to the local swells as OFM, "our first men," and used expressions like NG, "no go," GT, "gone to Texas," and SP, "small potatoes."

Many of the abbreviated expressions were exaggerated misspellings, a stock in trade of the humorists of the day. One predecessor of OK was OW, "oll wright," and there was also KY, "know yuse," KG, "know go," and NS, "nuff said.
 This amused me quite a bit, seeing that there had been a fad for acronyms so far from the past.

I greatly trust Cecil, but that article seriously smacks of "April Fool's material", so I checked with Wiki, which, to my amusement, confirmed it.

OMG, LOL! *grin*

*Using this phrase, of course, lead me to look up the etymology of "Wild Hare"...which, actually makes sense:
It originated from "had a wild hare up my ". If you had a wild rabbit in your backside... you'd probably jump without thinking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home